EQT ECU Staged Tune (VW MK7 GTI/GLI/Golf R/Audi S3/A3)
The Mk7 GTI and Golf R come with incredibly sophisticated engine management systems from the factory. Working with these ECU's requires an intimate knowledge of engine dynamics and software engineering to be able to properly understand and modify the functionality. Luckily, we have decades of experience in both fields and acquired our own Golf R as an R&D vehicle. We have been working very closely with Cobb Tuning through the development of their AccessPort and ProTuner software for this platform. This close relationship gives us early access to the newest features and input into further development and refinement of the system.
Using Cobb's ProTuner software, we have spent the past few years developing and refining our own set of staged tunes or "OTS tunes" for your MQB vehicle to be used with the Cobb AccessPort. Countless hours of in house dyno testing, drivability road testing, and track torture testing went into the development of our calibrations. So you can be sure your car will perform optimally while retaining excellent drivability characteristics and a healthy margin of safety built into every tune.
We go way beyond the standard fuel, boost, and ignition adjustments that are common in the tuning world. We spent the time to go through and map out the complete torque control system, the complex ignition control and knock detection systems, the sophisticated turbo and airflow modeling systems, the fuel management and injection timing systems, and countless other parameters. The end result can be felt any time you drive the car on a track, a fun road, or even for your regular grocery run. We generally see gains of 50-90whp over the factory calibrations depending on model and modification level. But along with those power gains, you will notice greatly improved throttle response, reduced turbo lag, and very smooth power throughout the powerband. We also offer all the custom features from Cobb. These include our own customized traction control system, flat foot shifting, and burbles/crackles.
When ordering, please select from the options listed for fuel quality, modifications, and special features you would like to be included in your tune. Please note that these maps are meant for the more basic Stage 1 and Stage 2 cars. If your car is more heavily modified and does not fall into the options available, we also offer custom e-tuning for just about any modification and fuel type available.
This is a question asked all too frequently, and while we’d love to give you a specific number, there are many variables involved that can affect dyno results. Even taking the car’s modifications out of the equation, there are other variables such as weather, elevation, fuel quality, dyno type, dyno fan setup, etc. that come into play. With that being said, these are ranges that most vehicles will see, given standard modifications and reasonable conditions:
Stage 1 GTI/A3 - 270-300whp
Stage 1 Golf R/S3 - 320-360whp
Stage 2: GTI/A3 - 300-340whp
Stage 2 Golf R/S3 - 350-390whp
Here are just a couple examples of our tunes. Please note that these results were acquired on our Dynocom chassis dyno in 2WD mode and close to optimal conditions. Dyno numbers can vary greatly depending on dyno type and conditions.
These are results from our latest v2.0 Staged Tunes for the Golf R:
This is a nearly stock (Stage 1) GTI on 91 Octane. This is showing a baseline pull on the stock calibration, another tuner's e-tune, and our EQT tune:
Current version - v2.0/v2.01 for all models
5/10/2020 - v2.01 (Fuel Cut Bases Launch Control Files Only)
- This updated only affects v2.0 tunes with the "Cobb Launch Control (Fuel Cut Based)" Option selected. If you have a v2.0 file with "LC" in the file name, please contact us to receive an update.
- This update fixes an inconsistency in Cobb's fuel cut based launch control that can cause excessive boost levels during prolonged launch control activation in some conditions.
4/25/2020 - v2.0 :
- Major update to all ECU Staged Tunes.
- Added support for Jetta GLI
- Added E30 Staged Tunes for Stage 1/2 Golf R
- Resolved factory inherent diverter valve control issue on all GTI tunes. This is an industry leading improvement that we discovered and resolved by identifying the necessary ECU tables and working with Cobb Tuning to add these tables to their AccessTuner software. This allowed us to control the DV and fix a factory tuning issue that was causing drivability issues for many GTI's. This issue was most commonly noticed at part throttle operation around 3000RPM and around 40-50% throttle. Before the fix, the ECU would keep the DV open, bleeding boost and creating a feeling of lag. Then it would suddenly shut the DV and result in an odd surge of power. With our fix implemented, all our GTI tunes now drive smoothly and responsively without any such lag/surge feeling. Those drivers who are picky about drivability will greatly appreciate this update.
- Refined boost control, ignition timing, fueling targets, cam timing, torque and throttle tables for all models to improve drivability, power, and consistency.
- Revised low end boost curves to minimize compressor surge/flutter. Some slight flutter can still occur on certain setups and conditions, but it is minimal and not a cause for concern in terms of performance and reliability.
- Peak boost targets set to 27psi at sea level (with a healthy taper at the top end to keep the turbo healthy and efficient). Boost targets and taper will vary based on elevation.
- Revised burbles options for more consistent activation.
- Resolved issue that prevented some 2019 vehicles from activating burbles.
9/20/2019 - v1.10 (15-19 R, 19 GTI); v1.25 (15-18 GTI):
Revised boost targets, ignition timing, and fuel timing for improved performance and drivability.
- Significant power bump for 15-19 GTI.
- Refinements in Cobb custom feature settings.
- Refinements for burble options.
- Initial non-beta Staged Tune release.
We Also Recommend